Jaipur: A sensational sting operation in the Karauli violence case by Times Now suggested that not only the police ‘did nothing’ in their power to curb the communal riot, but the main accused, Matloob Ahmed was given a ‘free pass.’ A religious procession of Hindus was targeted by stone-pelters while passing through a Muslim-dominated area in Rajsthan’s Karauli on April 2.
Times Now’s sting operation on Inspector General BL Meena revealed some ‘startling’ facts. IG Meena readily admitted that the police ‘did nothing’ to curb the violence when they could have easily disbursed the crowd by firing rubber bullets into the air.
An order issued by the ADG before the said procession on March 30 clearly stated that the police were instructed to deploy forces in the areas which have a mixed population on the day of the rally. But the police failed to follow the said instructions leading to the communal violence in which over 30 people were reported to have been injured.
Congress ally, Matloob Ahmed was said to have led the attack on the Hindu procession. Ahmed, who is currently absconding, was caught on camera along with his multiple relatives leading the rioting mob in Karauli. Ashok Gehlot’s government has repeatedly denied giving Matloob a ‘free pass’ citing that if they were trying to cover his crimes, they wouldn’t have booked him in the first place.
Calling the attack on the Hindu procession ‘pre-planned,’ BJP criticised the state government’s inaction despite being aware of the threat. Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Rajasthan Assembly, Rajendra Rathore said last week that the attack on the procession was pre-planned as hundreds of stones were collected a day before the rally.
This article first appeared on timesnownews.com