Yogi Adityanath. Photo: Twitter/@CMOfficeUP

New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh government under Adityanath has decided to spend Rs 40 crore to buy 2 crore Tricolours as part of the ‘Har Ghar Tiranga’ campaign, a report by Indian Express states.

The Narendra Modi government formally launched the campaign on July 22.

A Press Information Bureau release notes that its purpose is “to encourage people to bring the Tiranga home and hoist it to mark the 75th year of India’s independence.  The idea behind the initiative is to invoke the feeling of patriotism in the hearts of the people and to celebrate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav in the spirit of Jan Bhagidari.”

Under the campaign, National Flags are to be hoisted from every home from August 13 to 15.

Indian Express has reported that the Uttar Pradesh cabinet has approved a proposal for the purchase. Uttar Pradesh will celebrate the event from August 11 to 17, according to the report.

“75 per cent (1.5 crore) of the 2 crore flags would be bought from the funds provided by the Panchayati Raj Department, while the rest 25 per cent (50 lakh) would be procured by the funds provided by the Urban Development Department,” the report notes.

The state has a target of flying 4.5 crore flags. While 2 crores will be procured by the state government’s MSME department, while the remaining 2.5 crore flags are to be purchased through various self-help groups, social welfare groups and private units, according to the report.

The Union government has also changed the country’s flag code to allow the tricolour to fly both day and night now. Flags can now be machine-made and of polyester.

The display, hoisting and use of the Indian national flag is governed by the Flag Code of India, 2002 and the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.

This story was originally published in thewire.in . Read the full story here