BJP leader Kapil Mishra addressing supporters at Jafrabad on February 23. Photo: X

By The Wire Staff

New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday ordered the registration of a first information report (FIR) against Delhi law minister Kapil Mishra in the 2020 Northeast Delhi riots case, the Indian Express has reported.

The order, delivered by Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Vaibhav Chaurasia, came in response to a plea filed by Yamuna Vihar resident Mohammad Ilyas.

According to LiveLaw, the court said that the material put forth by the prosecution revealed that Mishra was present in the area in question and that “all the things were corroborating.”

Ilyas had moved the court in December 2024 seeking an investigation into Mishra and six other people’s role in the riots that left 53 dead and over 700 injured.

In March this year, the Delhi Police had opposed the plea saying that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader’s role had already been probed and nothing incriminating was found. 

In his petition, Ilyas named Mishra, Mustafabad MLA and deputy speaker Mohan Singh Bisht, the then DCP (North East), the then SHO of the Dayalpur police station, and former BJP legislator Jagdish Pradhan, for their alleged involvement in the riots, the Hindu reported.

Ilyas claimed that he saw Mishra and others blocking a road in Kardampuri and destroying the handcarts of street vendors, on February 23, 2020. He also said that the former (North East) DCP and some other officers stood with Mishra as he threatened anti-CAA protesters.

This story was originally published in thewire.in. Read the full story here.